2014-07-21

Tie dye maxi skirt

Love that splash of blue on the concrete wall!


Hello everyone,

I wasn't supposed to blog about this skirt today, but while in the middle of another project I got totally sidetracked by a post I saw on Pattern Review.

Deepika and Catina had posted about a maxi skirt from Anthropologie, and were offering a knock off pattern of that skirt for free, yes, for free! If you want to read about it, there is a 40 page long thread (as of today) here.

I was one of the lucky ones who could download the PDF and test the beta pattern version, (meaning a pattern still in the developement stage). We discovered some minor things along the process, that were easiled fixed. I was also lucky that the size offered seemed to correspond to my measurements; apart from taking in a little bit at the waist, I sewed it as is.

Technical drawing with finished measurements

I'm presenting you my 2nd tester. I stumbled upon this tie dye fabric while sorting my knits and thought it could make a cool maxi. The fabric comes from EmmaOneSock.
 
Tie dye maxi skirts seem to be very popular - you can find zillions of versions on the internet 
if you're looking for some inspiration

But, everything went wrong with this skirt, not with the pattern, but with the fabric.

It may not show now, but I had all the problems in the world and I swear I came close to abandon that project 3 or 4 times. First, I had very little fabric as I had originally ordered it with a top in mind, so I had very little options with the print placement (ideally I would have had more of the blue spots you see in the left godet on the front). Then, some parts of the fabric were off grain, so that left me with even less placement options!

In the urban jungle! 

The fabric is a feather weight rayon knit, it is flimsy and a bit see through, so I decided to line it. My choice was to line everything but the godets, to underline the main fabric with it and then treat it as a single layer and proceed with the construction.

What a bad idea! The tie dye fabric grew, and grew... but not the lining... the fabric was sagging at every seam; not pretty! So I had to rip the skirt apart, deal with a couple of holes I created along the way and re-attach everything, this time letting the lining free. I was also not happy with the print placement of the front waistband, so I had to recut the front from the back waistband (!), and recut the back waistband in a tiny fabric scrap that was left...

Splash of colour on the asphalt
The fabric has great movement

It leaves me wondering if I had better not tried to make this maxi skirt out of so little fabric... Lesson learned: always order extra fabric, you never know what you're gonna do with it!
 
This one is off focus, but you can see the matching of the print on the hips


Français:

Bonjour tout le monde,

Je n'étais pas supposée bloguer au sujet de cette jupe aujourd'hui, mais alors que j'étais sur un autre projet j'ai totalement dévié à cause d'un post vu sur Pattern Review.

Deepika et Catina avaient posté au sujet d'une jupe maxi de chez Anthropologie, et offraient le patron en téléchargement tout à fait gratuitement, oui! Si vous voulez en savoir plus, il y a un fil de discussion de plus de 40 pages en date d'aujourd'hui - il est en anglais et se trouve ICI.

J'ai été une des chanceuses qui a pu télécharger le PDF et tester le patron, encore au stage beta (patron en phase de développement). Nous avons découvert de petites choses en cours de route, faciles à régler. J'étais aussi bien contente que le patron semble correspondre à mes mensurations; à part rapetisser un peu la taille, je l'ai cousu tel quel.

Je vous présente donc mon 2e test; je suis tombée sur ce tissu tie dye en fouillant dans mes jerseys et j'ai trouvé qu'il serait cool pour cette maxi. Le tissu vient de chez EmmaOneSock; quand je l'ai vu sur le site j'ai sauté dessus!

Eh bien, tout est allé de travers avec cette jupe; pas avec le patron comme tel, mais avec le tissu. 

Ça ne paraît peut-être pas comme ça, mais j'ai eu tous les problèmes du monde. Au moins 3 ou 4 fois je me suis dit ‹Bon ben faudrait peut-être penser à laisser tomber!

Pour commencer, j'étais très juste dans le métrage (je me rappelle avoir commandé avec un top en tête). Donc, pour le placement de l'imprimé, je n'avais pas tellement de marge de manoeuvre; idéalement j'aurais voulu avoir plus du motif qu'on voit sur le godet gauche sur le devant. Ensuite, une partie du tissu était déformée et n'était pas sur le droit fil, donc encore moins d'options.

Le tissu est un tricot de rayonne très fin, légèrement transparent, j'ai donc décidé de doubler. Mon choix était de couper dans la doublure toutes les pièces de patron sauf les godets, de traiter le tout comme une seule épaisseur et de procéder avec la construction. Quelle mauvaise idée! L'imprimé a étiré, étiré... mais pas la doublure! Le tissu pochait à toutes les coutures, pas joli à voir! Finalement j'ai donc dû découdre toute la jupe, faire avec quelques trous créés en cours de route, puis tout remonter, laissant la doublure libre cette fois. Et puis je n'aimais pas le placement de l'imprimé sur la bande de taille, j'ai donc recoupé la pièce taille devant dans celle du dos, puis recoupé la bande de taille dos dans une minuscule chute de tissu - la joie, quoi!

En rétrospective je me suis demandé si ça avait été une bonne idée d'essayer de tailler cette maxi dans aussi peu de tissu. Leçon apprise: toujours commander du tissu en extra, on ne sait jamais ce qu'on en fera!

3 commentaires:

  1. Your skirt is gorgeous! Your perseverance most definitely paid off. I love the colors and the placement…beautiful!

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Thank you! I wasn't sure that skirt was worth all the time and effort, I mean, it's still nice but... I don't give it a 100%!

    RépondreSupprimer