La Mia Boutique tunic/tunique 09-2008-8


During the Wardrobe Contest on Pattern Review (Sept-Nov 09), I sewed a tunic from a La Mia Boutique pattern (09-2008-8). I made two different versions; one is in a printed viscose knit from the italian house Etro, the other is in a magnificent fuschia silk jersey. The pattern recommends moderate stretch knits such as lightweight wool jersey. I think 2 way stretch knits work well for this design.

My first version caused me some headaches 'cause I followed the instructions that recommend assembling the underbust band (actually 2 bands: the upper layer is shirred, the underlayer that serves as a foundation is not) in the round, and to sandwich the upper bodice between the two bands, still sewing in the round. Problem here: even if I had previously made a muslin, the underbust band proved itself to be too big. I had to rip out the whole thing a couple of times until I got an ok fit (just ok, not perfect). I was so tired on working on the underbust band that I eventually decide to forget about the shirred one 'cause I was late in my sewing schedule. For tunic #2 (the fuschia one) I changed my assembling technique and closed the tunic on the sides, making fitting adjustments much more easier that way - just have to sew a little larger seam on the sides to adjust to my taste. Please note however that I had previously taken off 1 inch on the sides of the underbust bands, on the front and the back (4 inches total). I had to stretch the bands a bit to make them adjust to the lower bodice pieces, which was a good thing 'cause the tunic follows the curve of the back and the underbust and the lower bodice then falls in a pleasant way.

This tunic has a lot of interesting details, aside this cute underbust band:

- the bow at the neck, of course
- the cut of the sleeve
- the ties at the wrist coming out from the buttonholes performed at the sleeve hem
- the curved hem (this is a modification of my own as it softens the rectangle shape of the tunic - the high neck and the absence of an open neckline creates a rectangle).

The front opening under the bow is quite revealing; I wear the tunic with a cami for I don't feel too exposed. I recommend sewing a hook 'n eye at the top of the opening, under the bow, to avoid any gaping.

I'd never thought I would wear things with a bow at the neck, I don't know why but I was drawned to this pattern. Actually I think it is very well drafted and super stylish. If you would like to read my reviews on PR, click here and here.


The tunic as it appears in the Nov 08 issue of LMB/La tunique telle qu'elle paraît dans le numéro de novembre 08 de LMB


(Pictures below by my friend Jessy Bernier/Photos ci-bas par mon amie Jessy Bernier)

My first version of the tunic, without the shirred underbust band - sewn in the italian size 40/
Ma première version de la tunique, sans la bande froncée sous le buste - réalisée dans la taille italienne 40









Worn with a La Mia Boutique cardi/Portée avec un cardigan La Mia Boutique


Version #2 in a fuschia silk jersey, with the shirred underbust band/La version #2, en jersey de soie fuschia, avec la bande froncée sous le buste


Worn here with the Jalie jeans #2908/Portée ici avec le jeans Jalie #2908






View of the front opening/Vue de l'ouverture du devant




View of the buttonholes with ties/Vue des boutonnières avec liens



Color combination with cardi and jeans/Combinaison de couleurs avec cardigan et jeans


Color combination with cardi and velvet jeans/Combinaison de couleurs avec cardigan et jeans en velours


Worn with La Mia Boutique cardigan/Portée avec le cardigan La Mia Boutique



Dans le cadre du concours de la garde-robe de Pattern Review (sept-nov 09), j'ai eu l'occasion de coudre une tunique d'après un patron La Mia Boutique (09-2008-8). J'en ai réalisé deux versions différentes, la première dans un tricot de viscose imprimée provenant de la maison italienne Etro, la seconde dans un magnifique jersey de soie fuschia. Le patron recommande des tissus modérément extensibles, tels que du jersey de laine léger. Je pense que des tricots avec extensibilité dans un sens fonctionnent bien pour ce modèle.

La première version m'a causé bien des maux de tête car j'ai suivi les instructions qui conseillent d'assembler la bande du dessous du buste (en fait 2 bandes: l'une est froncée, celle du dessous qui la soutient ne l'est pas) en rond, et de prendre l'empiècement du haut en sandwich entre les 2 bandes, toujours en cousant en rond. Problème, problème, même si j'avais réalisé une toile d'essayage de la tunique la bande s'est révélée trop grande. J'ai dû tout découdre plusieurs fois et recommencer jusqu'à ce que l'ajustement en dessous du buste soit potable (potable et non parfait). J'en ai eu tellement assez à un moment que j'ai laissé tomber la bande froncée pour cette tunique car le temps me manquait dans mon échéancier de concours. Pour la tunique #2 (celle en soie fuschia), j'ai changé ma technique et ai fermé la tunique par les côtés, rendant l'ajustement beaucoup moins compliqué - juste besoin de prendre une couture de côté un peu plus large pour ajuster à mon goût. Notez toutefois qu'au préalable j'ai tout de même réduit les bandes de 1 pouce sur les côtés, devant et derrière (4 pouces total). J'ai donc dû étirer un peu les bandes pour les faire s'ajuster aux empiècements du bas, ce qui en fait était une bonne chose car les empiècements épousent mieux la courbe du dos et le dessous du buste puis tombent avec une belle ampleur.

La tunique comporte plusieurs jolis détails, outre cette bande froncée sous le buste:

- les liens à nouer en lavallière au cou, bien sûr
- la coupe de la manche
- les liens qui resserrent le poignet qui sortent de 2 boutonnières pratiquées à l'ourlet de la manche
- l'ourlet arrondi (cette modification est de moi puisque il adoucit la forme rectangulaire de la tunique - avec l'encolure montante et l'absence de décolleté, cela crée un rectangle)

L'ouverture du devant est assez révélatrice; personnellement je porte la tunique avec une camisole pour ne pas me sentir trop 'exposée'. Je recommande la pose d'une agrafe au haut de l'ouverture, sous le noeud, pour éviter que cette ouverture ne bâille.

Je n'aurais jamais cru me voir porter des trucs à noeud au cou, mais je ne sais pas pourquoi je me suis prise d'affection pour ce modèle. En fait je trouve qu'il est très bien coupé et plein de style. Si vous voulez lire les critiques (en anglais) que j'ai faites sur Pattern Review, cliquez ici et ici.

Commentaires

  1. That is a sharp top. I need to find a similar pattern.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. I adore these blouses! I like how the sleeve hem is finished, I might try that on a woven blouse I'm working on now.

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. Ok, I need to go ahead and tell you that I have been coveting your tops since first seeing them in January. I am on a made quest to find a pattern that is similar since I don't have La Mia Boutique magazines. I will be blogging about my quest and will be references your blog if you don't mind. I just love those tops!

    RépondreSupprimer
  4. Your tops are amazing! I love the gathered cuff on the magenta top.

    RépondreSupprimer
  5. Faye linked to you and I just happily followed. This is outstanding! Your attention to detail is just fabulous and I love love love the colors you chose.

    RépondreSupprimer
  6. Found your blog via Faye and the blouses are absolutely gorgeous.

    RépondreSupprimer

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular posts / articles les plus consultés