Hot Patterns 1142: Fast & Fabulous Fiesta red matte jersey top!

Hot Patterns Fast & Fabulous Fiesta Knit top in red matte jersey



Hi everybody,

Recently I sewed with a fabric I don't work enough with, matte jersey, and revisited this fun top pattern: Hot Patterns 1142 Fast and Fabulous Fiesta Knit Top!



Hot Patterns 1142: Fast and Fabulous Fiesta Knit Top


Hot Patterns Fast and Fabulous Fiesta Knit Top back view


Pattern and fabric:

The Fiesta knit top is an interesting pattern for a casual top that will transition from spring to summer, comfortable to wear and a nice alternative to a t-shirt for everyday dressing. Just the kind of garment I need at this time!

It features batwing sleeves, a waistband and neckline and sleeves finished with a self fabric band. It is indeed fast to make if you don't have much time on your hands, and fabulous!





I made a size 6, which is my usual with Hot Patterns. To be honest with you, the size 6 is gigantic and I remember when I first made this top a couple of years ago that it looked more like a mini dress on me than like the top in the pattern illustration! I raised and narrowed the neckline approximately 1 1/2 inches, and lost count of how many inches I removed to shorten the bodice and the sleeves. If you want to make it, make sure to make a muslin first!


I love the Hot Patterns Fiesta Knit Top paired with skinny jeans!


Now can we say a few words about this gorgeous fabric? I had forgotten about how matte jersey drapes beautifully when paired with a pattern that let it express itself, and besides wrap dresses and skirts, I can envision all kinds of t-s, camis and draped tops with this fabric.

I'm especially drawn to 100% rayon or viscose matte jersey as I love natural fibers, and I know the colour will stay beautiful. Quality matte jersey is almost as nice as silk jersey in my mind. If it's made from rayon or viscose it will shrink, so make sure to either prewash it or take your garment to the dry cleaner. If you want to keep your seams light and avoid imprint marks when you press, I highly recommend lightweight serger thread such as Gutermann Mara 150 (Tex 20); the cutting will also be easier if you use scissors such as Kaï serrated specialty shears.

As a guest blogger on the Fabric Mart's blog Made by a Fabricista, I received this gorgeous fabric for my May post, which you can see here. Thank you so much Fabric Mart for this designer matte jersey!




I will leave it there for now. It was a lot of fun revisiting this old pattern by Hot Patterns, and I know this top will be in steady rotation in my spring/summer wardrobe!

Virginie

Commentaires

Popular posts / articles les plus consultés