McCall's 7906 sand colour linen skirt / McCall's 7906 jupe en lin couleur sable

McCall's 7906 sand colour linen skirt / McCall's 7906 jupe en lin couleur sable


Hi everybody,

I really love button front skirts, especially in linen - they scream summer to me. McCall's skirt pattern really caught my eye when it was released earlier this year as part of their early spring collection, and I knew I had to make it! So I didn't waste time and made it in this beautiful sand colour linen while the snow is still melting here; as soon as we have a day with warm weather I'll be ready to wear it!


McCall's 7906 button front skirt made in linen / McCall's 7906 jupe en lin boutonnée devant
The pattern: McCall's 7906

This is view D, which is the longer version with large belt carriers and a sash. I made my usual size 10 and this pattern is true to size. My only adjustments were to release the seams a bit at the waist (it was a bit tight) and then to take in a bit at the hips.

The assembling of this skirt is pretty straight forward with good instructions. A couple of pointers: I don't think slipstitching of the self facing is an absolute necessity if you use interfacing like I did, and as it will be anchored by the buttonholes and buttons later. Don't baste the self facing until the very end as you have to turn it anyway when you sew the waist facing and you hem the bottom.

It is not specified, but you have to press the back pleats towards the middle. 

Another thing I did differently was to add a featherweight interfacing to the front facings so it would stabilize the linen without interfering with the drape. I also topstitched the left facing (the side with the buttons) and it looks very nice in my opinion.

No alterations length wise, this is the 2'' hem topstitched on the sewing machine.



The fabric: linen

For this project I chose a beautiful linen I received from Fabric Mart for one of my Made By A Fabricista posts (I'm a guest blogger once a month for Fabric Mart). The colour of this one is called fawn. It has just the right weight and drape for that skirt, and I love the sand colour which is easy to style with the tops I intend to wear it with: black, white, red and coral. I wanna thank Fabric Mart for that gorgeous fabric!





McCall's 7906 skirt back view / Vue de dos jupe McCall's 7906



McCall's 7906 was a really fun project. I love the high waist, the slightly retro feel of this front buttoned pleated skirt, and I can't wait to wear it.

We are beginning to see a couple of versions of that cute skirt popping up on the internet, and I think McCall's has a hit with this one. Will it be one of the best patterns of 2019?

This is a pattern I highly recommend - well drafted, goes together easily and relatively quickly, can be made in a variety of fabrics, looks good on many silhouettes. Me, I will repeat this one for sure!

Thanks for looking, and see you for next post!

Virginie

Commentaires

  1. Après avoir regardé ces robes, il semble que ma garde-robe a besoin d'une mise à jour. J'ai hâte de les essayer tout de suite.

    RépondreSupprimer

Enregistrer un commentaire

Popular posts / articles les plus consultés